Finally, the time has come! At last the time has come at last. Hehehe …. We traveled to the Great Wall at 7:30am and stayed for at least four hours and we enjoyed every moment! I wanted to stay at the front, but I cannot climb stairs. I finally got up to the second tower and almost gave up. I rested on the ledge for maybe fifteen minutes when the director and tour manager passed and I decided to continue on. I did eventually make it to the seventh guard tower and was at the very top of a section of the Great Wall. A group went down the loop, which goes all the way around the freeway and back again. They were covered in sweat at the end, but they actually made it on time. I am so glad I did not give up and continued on to the top. It was worth it, although it was quite a challenge and many stops for rest were needed along the way. I did buy two paintings near the top and a stone carving at the bottom. It was great!
About the Great Wall … we went to a less tourist area. I was so surprised at the wall. I assumed it would be bigger, flatter, or something different. It was all stairs. Steep stairs of different sizes some almost knee high. It was an adventure! I would not want to be a guard if I had to climb those stairs several times a day. Going down was really easy for me, but up was impossible. I felt like I was going to collapse, like what I did when I climbed up to the Butte du Lion. Sigh … I need to learn how to climb stairs …
We finally returned to the hotel at 2pm for a two-hour rest. We all were told to constantly stretch because after such a climb, the dancers still have to perform tonight. I am so glad I am not a dancer! It did seem to go well, but I hear later that a few dancers were about to collapse at the end and they are all sore …
It was our last performance. I can’t believe it is all over. It is so unreal; I’m not sure what to do with myself! No more shows, no more set-ups or strikes. It could possibly be my last tour and I don’t even know it. I don’t know what I will be doing next year with my job. I hope to be working with Ballroom again but nothing has begun to be decided yet. Life goes to quickly … I am so glad to spend my time with wonderful friends. Even if I may forget the events, it is all about the emotions and impressions that are lasting. These dancers are my friends, and I have been able to get to know something about them all. I will miss those that leave, and look forward to seeing the team change again next year.
From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:
dancetechinservice.blogspot.com
Friday, June 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.
Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.
Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.
I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.

No comments:
Post a Comment