Where do I begin? It was an amazing day! We ate at McDonalds at 7:30, then headed off on our first adventure at 8:30. We were able to visit an authentic fisherman’s village, so on a boat we went. It was so nice! It had begun to rain that morning, so we came prepared with our raincoats and umbrellas. It continued to rain as we took our ferry to the Lamma Island. To travel to the small fisherman wharf, it was a boat ride big enough for only ten people, so I was on the first group to go over. When we got there, we were on a floating platform with several exhibits of how to fish, authentic fishing boats, etc. We finally were able to begin fishing ourselves when it began to POUR!!! I was already soaking wet from the boat ride – water has always been my friend – so I didn’t mind standing out there holding other people’s umbrellas as they fished – don’t worry, I had my umbrella too. We soon learned that our raincoats really aren’t even close to being raincoats - they barely pass as windbreakers. So we all looked like “drowned rats” and the rain was only getting worse. We actually had to wait longer for a bigger boat to come pick us up! It was that bad! Next, we were fed the best food – said to be the most expensive meal we’d get on this tour. Thirteen dishes were passed around, including shrimp, calamari, scallops (the BEST EVER), etc. I really enjoyed it, and couldn’t help but laugh as I saw others cringe at the thought of eating anything with a face.
Well, we finally headed to our first venue to begin the set-up of our show. It wasn’t too bad. I was very rusty with the running of the show, and I had to call every light cue – which didn’t turn out all that well - but overall, it was a good show. The technicians at the theatre were so nice to us and we were able to set up with no problems at all. There was no need to strike because tomorrow we have another performance at the same place. It was great to not have to worry about striking! I’m not use to leaving all the equipment out, but it leaves more time for shopping tomorrow!
Anyways, we were all tired afterwards, but a group of us were also hungry, so I went to Pizza Hut at 10pm – which is a very fancy restaurant here – and spent an hour with thirteen other members of teams (all but two being men). It was nice, but I am glad to finally be able to go to bed! Good Night!
From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:
dancetechinservice.blogspot.com
Friday, June 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.
Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.
Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.
I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.

No comments:
Post a Comment