From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wed, June 11, 2008

The day began … with rain! I didn’t know this of course because I was inside as dancers continued to use my computer. Breakfast was served at 7:30 – and all bags had to be packed and set in the lobby beforehand. We left the hotel at 8:40 to head to the airport! Our first flight inside Mainland China … How exciting!

AWWWWW ….. So, on our way to the airport, our tour leader began to show baby pictures of the team members and read a biography that the mothers sent. It was so cute! I love baby pictures – we were all excited! I love what our tour leaders do for us so we don’t get too homesick. I was the last one done for the day … and my mom picked my favorite picture! It was great! I’m so HAPPY!!!!

Getting through security in the airport wasn’t too bad. It was just like airports in the states, but no liquids are allowed. My bag was searched just because I still had my first aid supplies in my carry-on. It was mainly checking the first aid cream and chapstick – apparently not even chapstick is allowed! They didn’t take anything, just checked to see what it was. I do have four water bottles in my checked bag, so hopefully it doesn’t decide to explode. If it does, my laundry will be done! Hehehe … okay, I won’t do that next time. Water is just hard to come by and I need to stop dehydrating myself. I work so hard, I don’t notice the heat and don’t drink water. I got a headache last night during the show probably because of that reason. Thankfully, I was able to have headache medicine from Ron, but I learned to always carry my meds with me. I really will need it – at least the Tylenol.

What a tiring flight. For the first hour, most of the team was sleeping, then we were fed lunch and it seemed to have woken people up. I could not get comfortable for sleep, so I just took out my laptop to listen to music and continue typing. Too bad my computer wasn’t charged all the way and will run out of battery soon.

After an interesting check-in, we were able to drop off our things in our new hotel room - and discover the interesting design that has the shower showing into the room. We had some interesting conversations about that at lunch. Our next trip was to a shopping street. It was similar in style to the one in Guangzhou, so I didn't really care much for it. Finally, at 6:30pm, we headed to see a Chinese Acrobatic show. It was called the ERA Intersection of Time (http://www.era-shanghai.com). It was very impressive show and the whole team loved it! It seemed to have cost at least 500RMB, but it was only 80RMB, being about $11. Our seats weren't the best, but there really wasn't a bad seat in the house. It was amazing!

We then headed to see the Shanghai nightscape, which was really nice. I was getting a headache and was tired after the show, but being out next to the water was great and it woke me up quickly. I had forgotten my camera, but my friends were able to get a picture for me. Then, off we went back to the hotel where my computer was used for internet and I fell asleep. I rarely get to use my computer during the evenings, but I don't mind.

No comments:

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.