From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Friday, June 6, 2008

Sat, June 7, 2008

The day began with ... rain! And thunder and lighting. (there was none of that yesterday …) The weather forecast for this week is rain, rain, and more rain. Hopefully, we will be able to see the sun as we head to Mainland China. The only problem with the rain is the fact that very few of us have raincoats. Thankfully, it is a warm rain. I’m just glad I actually did pack my umbrella. I usually don’t like using it, but I’m now very glad to have it with me. China doesn’t only rain, it usually pours! The clothes schedule for the day is a dress … and I thought about curling my hair, but seeing the rain come down, I’m just fine putting it up in a bun. I remember how beautiful the city looked at night and hoped to see it during the day, but so far, we mainly got a thick fog across the city so I miss seeing a lot of the skylines. We did have a good view from the boat ride yesterday morning, but that’s mainly it. Hopefully it clears up a bit before Monday when we travel to Guangzhou.

Again, we had breakfast at McDonald's at 7:30, and then we were to go to a school to teach ballroom dance to kids. However … it is a Black Thunderstorm Warning and all stores are closed except McDonald's. We step one foot outside and we are soaked. Apparently, we had a bit of flooding in the YMCA lobby. Apparently, there hasn’t been a black thunderstorm warning for the past several years. So, our plans have been canceled until noon. Hopefully by then, we will be able to go shopping at Stanley Square. Now, I have four hours to kill, and I have no idea what to do … apparently, there is an internet sharing party on the 13th floor, a Transformers movie party on the 12th floor, and then at 10am, I’ll join the Carr’s to the Museum of Art.

Well, it may be a few more days until I am able to update my blog. It cost me $40HKD for these four hours of internet (okay, that is only $5.40USD so it isn't too bad). I will keep a log of all my doings and constantly upload my pictures to my laptop. Whenever I get a few minutes online, it will be an easy upload ...

No comments:

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.