Well, I actually was up at 7am for no reason and got ready for the day as we were to report to the bus at 9:30. We were heading to a Korean City Market to do some shopping, but when we got there, it wasn’t the kind of place we like to shop. It was just a modern store selling clothes and such. No bargaining or cheaply priced goods. Rarely anyone really bought anything. There just wasn’t anything to buy. Finally we were able to return to the hotel for lunch then headed to Horse Raising Island for some sightseeing. There are some great sculptures there and it was nice to relax and walk around the place.
After that, we went to our venue. They really spoiled us in welcoming us to Yantai. It was wonderful! Several signs welcomed us on the exterior and interior of the venue. It was a great honor. All signs were in red and big. Our background was as big as the stage with a watermark of the footloose picture. Also, they ad made neon lights stating the American BYU Ballroom Dance Company China Tour. I was greatly impressed at I entered into the theater. However, it just wasn’t properly prepared for our show. We asked for specific lighting and a black background or projection and they didn’t follow through. Everything did work out well, but I feel so bad putting a screen in front of the huge poster and even the neon sign could not be turned on during the performance because it conflicted with our lighting atmosphere. It was difficult for the dancers because we were in an arena meaning no wing space, and the stage was on platforms causing theme to climb steep steps. It did look great! I had a hard time with sound volumes because I’ll set it will a full volume and I’d get a louder cure from audience members. It really was blasting, and it seemed like that’s what they wanted! I can’t believe it … I’m going deaf. Sound is not an easy task!
But it seemed to go well and they set off confetti as they gave flowers at the end. Unfortunately, they came on during the tag so w didn’t fully finish the concert, but they didn’t know that. Sigh …
After the show, while in one of the hallways, an older woman gave Charisse and I a kind of root. Chaise had to find a restroom so I was left alone with her. She gave me another and showed me how to peel the skin off and just eat what is inside. It’s similar to a potato. She then gave me a whole bag to show me her appreciation and gratitude for our show. Later on, I offered some to Brent, Jay, Linda, and even Kathy. Kathy is our interpreter and she told me it was Taro and that I should just take a picture and throw it away. I didn’t think it was that bad, but no one else wanted a bite. Oh well. So, I took a picture, and then left it in the dining room of the hotel – because it is usually baked and served with sugar at nice reception dinners. I don’t like things to go to waste, especially a full bag of them. I appreciated it though, which makes the gift worth it.
Well, back to the hotel for a buffet dinner and off to bed.
From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:
dancetechinservice.blogspot.com
Saturday, June 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.
Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.
Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.
I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.

No comments:
Post a Comment