Yay! We have finished the production of Dance in Concert. I really look forward to taking the show on tour. There will be different dances performed on tour, so it'll be nice to find out which will be performed and how fun it will be. At this time, the tour information is still pending. Last I heard, it may occur between April 26th and May 16th. Hopefully, I will be getting more information soon. It's sad to think that I only have on tour left with the BYU Dance Department. I have really loved these past three years on the job. I've been able to tour every semester since beginning, allowing me to see the different aspects of each dance company and become friends with a lot of great dancers. I do hope at some time in my future careers I will be able to continue working with dancers.
I am glad that my last company is Dancers' Company. I began my job in January of '06 working with Dancers' Company under the direction of Becky Philips. She was amazing! I loved the repertoire that year, with Ascendence, Disinigration, and others. Two years later, January of '08, I worked with Dancers' Company on "Onward Alone" under the direction of Caroline Prohosky. Not only did I stage manage, I also assisted with the projection design. It was a wonderful experience working with Caroline on that project. The next year, January of '09, Dancers' Company became under the direction of Pat Debenham. I have worked with him the past few years with DancEnsemble. He is a great man with quite an imagionative creativity to his choreography. It is quite unique, but I simply love it! I look forward to a summer tour with him and his dancers.
I will also have the oportunity to tour with Erin. Usually Benjamin would be the Technical Director (TD) for Dancers' Company but since Ballroom is leaving on tour the same day, Erin will TD the tour. This tour will bring new experiences and will hopefully leave me with a great lasting memory of my time with the BYU dancers.
It has been such a blessing being here at BYU. I have had so much variety in the work I do, not only working with the five main dance companies, but also being able to work with theatre and film. I have touched a bit in several different departments to better assist me for when I leave. Although I came to college to get work experience, I find that I have really loved all the learning I have gained with a Theatre Arts Studies major. I may not have the memory for each theory I've learned, but I like to be able to sit in a theatre or at the movies and critique several different aspects of the production. I really feel I have come from this university with wonderful learning. I have entered and spent four years learning what I can from this institution. Now it is time to go forth into the world, finding jobs that will allow me to use my services in assisting with the improvement of the performing arts.
From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:
dancetechinservice.blogspot.com
Sunday, February 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.
Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.
Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.
I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.

No comments:
Post a Comment