Last Friday, I worked for nearly eight hours. Five of those hours were spent spray painting our newly built light booms. I was in a special ventalated paint area (located in the scene shop at the HFAC), had a dust mask on, and wore latex gloves. I was also lucky to have a can gun so it was a bit easier to spray paint for so long. I am definitely buying myself one! My fingers still get stiff though. When I finish, my clothes (and hair) are covered in dust (or spray paint particles), my fingers are stiff, and I have paint all over my arms due to rubbing against sprayed areas before it dried. Oops! I also like to blame my lack of focus and laziness to paint fumes. Does that excuse work? Hmmmm ....
On Saturday, I took the four booms I had painted in those five hours the day before and with Stephen we set them up with lights and cable to prepare the RB Theatre for a Ballet Showcase Photo Shoot. It only took three hours, so that was nice and short. Before we left, we checked the patch and even focused the lights so it would all be ready for the photo shoot Monday evening.
Monday was another eight hour day. I was going to spend the time spray painting the remaining four booms, but I was needed at the office to collect all the equipment for the folk show. After loading it on the truck, I drove it over to the Covey Center, unloaded, and began the set-up. After we finished there with setting up the RP Screen, I returned to the office to cut all the color and load a few more things into the truck. Funny thing, I am so use to just setting things up, I don't think of what it is called and why. Since this job, I've been working to be more efficient by knowing correct terms. To do that, I need to understand why they have such names. Sadly, I wasn't thinking when trying to figure out why it is called an RP Screen. I knew it was a projection screen that can be used with a front or back projection. Yeah ... it finally hit me that it's called a Rear Projection Screen. Embarrassing!!
Today, I was at the Covey Center a little after nine. We began with focusing the lighting. We finished a rough focus right before our noon meeting at the RB. At the meeting is when I realized I only had four hours left to work in this week. Awwww ... darn. I was given some tasks to complete for the Cougarettes concert next week, so I do have something to do. Therefore, this evening after class, I returned to the scene shop and spent three hours finishing up the remaining four booms. Ug ... no matter how much I spray them, I find a spot I have missed!!! Spray painting is a never-ending job!!!!! But I got them painted good enough. Now, I have an hour to complete my other task ... which I will do another day and entails making sure our automated lighting is prepared for the Cougarettes show. It shouldn't take more than an hour, so I'm good.

No comments:
Post a Comment