From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Theatre Classes

Class today was wonderful!! In Dramatic Lit, we talked about the Viewpoints of Anne Bogard by acting it ourselves. We spent class in the Pardoe Green room running around the room acting out these viewpoints to better understand and apply it. We discussed and acted out the viewpoints of time and space - therefore, making shapes and gestures as we worked with tempo, topography, and repetition. Very simple and basic practices, but it was a lot of fun to be active throughout the class period and it is great exercises for actors - something good to know if I ever go into teaching or directing. Every little piece of knowledge is helpful - and I greatly enjoyed it.

In Scenic Design, it was fascinating how my teacher brough the gospel into the lesson. He put up quotes that related to the fact that all things were created spiritually before they were created temporally. "Before a building can exist physically, it must be conceived and designed. This process can be likened to spiritual creation. . . An architect creates a building spiritually and the engineers and contractors create it physically [just as a designer creates their design and the technicians take those plans and create it on stage]." I never really though of it that way. He even added scripture to show how everything was first created spiritually before they were created temporally. An amazing class!

No comments:

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.