From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Here to There

Friday night, Andrea and I went to the NELKE to view a play on transportation in Utah County named "Here to There." We were required to see it for a theatre class - and it was really good. It was a presentation of experimental theatre where a collection of stories on social views were compiled together in different ways added with movement and blocking. They touched on the UTA bus system, paratransit, and BYU student parking. It was really impressive with how it was all compiled together. I was surprised that they all read from the script, instead of memorizing, but they were reading real interviews and stories taken from the community. It gave a new point of view to transportation in Utah and the need for improvement. Afterwards, we went to the stage to put our footprint and impression of transportation on a poster that would be placed in an arts exibit downtown about transportation. It was a good way to spend a Friday evening.

No comments:

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.