From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Sunday, January 27, 2008

BDC

The Ballroom team was gone from 7:30am to midnight as we worked to set up and performed. In the audience's point of view, they were great performances, with very few if any mistakes. A dancers' and technicians' point of view, they were a bit rusty after so much time, but it went well enough - improving with each performance. In the stage manager's point of view, it was awful! Everything that could go wrong, went wrong - but how is that different from any other time? Even setting up was difficult. The problems began with the light board touch screens not responding, then the lens in the projector refusing to come out, and finding a good place for the mixer and SFX. When I couldn't connect to MIDI control, I knew it wouldn't be a good show. For the matinee, I had to call each cue manually and then half the music wouldn't work as it should. The SFX program is suppose to make stage managing easy, yet it only gave me headaches. It was awful! Lee was behind my shoulder always getting after me for the smallest mistake. Of course it was my fault, but it was an upgrade I haven't worked on much. I can't practice using the program until there is a show to work on. Well, after the matinee, we all went to the host's home for dinner and relaxation. It was the most beautiful home for a very well-to-do family. Amazing! For the evening performance, Lady Luck was on my side to give me help in fixing the MIDI problem, however the audio was still causing problems. I began taking notes on each problem and we hope to fix it before Dancers' Company leaves on tour. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bug that came with the new upgrade. Even though the evening performance was easier, I made the most obvious mistakes. I blacked out before a tag! I make the most foolish mistakes, but it is the fact that Lee seeks a "perfect" show, and so do I. Although Lee - the director of the Ballroom Dance Company - is difficult to work under, I am glad to have these opportunities to work with him. I began my job hearing of all the struggles with stress under some directors like Lee, but it made me want to work with him. Under the most stressful and difficult pieces of work, come the most learning and experience. I love the Ballroom team and will miss working with them when I graduate - but the memories with them will never be forgotten.

No comments:

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.