When the dancers got out of the class, Eric left us for his wife so Erin and I decided to head over to the Art Institute of Chicago and spent four hours walking around. Actually, we met up with Melissa, Ivan, and Pat and started together but quickly separated ways and I got myself lost in the galleries. It was beautiful!! We saw many popular pieces of art, including works by Edgar Degas, Claude Monet, Georges Seurat, and Vincent van Gogh. Besides the Impressionist and Post-impressionist works, there was also a wide variety of other works. We even were able to see the miniature rooms created by Mrs. James Ward Thorne. It includes sixty-eight miniature rooms of European and American styles from the late 13th century to the 1930s. Amazing!!! It was so detailed. I think I read that scale was one inch to one foot. Very impressive collection.
After that, the group met at Millennium Park to take a picture at the Cloud Gate (the big bean shaped reflection sculpture). The next stop was to head to the hotel, but a group of dancers stayed in the city to catch some night shows. A group saw the Joffery Ballet performance, while others saw Mary Poppins. I decided to see Mary Poppins - seeing that I am a theatre person and has to see a theatrical event in Chicago. Wow was that good!!! The scenic design, lighting design, even the acting! We had the original Broadway cast, and wow was I impressed. Originally, I wasn't dying to see it but bought tickets cuz I wanted to see a show in Chicago, but oh was I glad I did!! Very well done!!After the show, it took maybe an hour and a half to take a bus and train to the hotel (we had to take a blue line to the airport, then catch a hotel shuttle to our place). I was so tired and had a headache coming on so as soon as I found my room, I just crashed til morning.

No comments:
Post a Comment