From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Monday, May 4, 2009

Day Eight: LecDems

Another full day of LecDems. Today, I taught Melissa, one of our volunteer dancer spouse techs to run the equipment and I just got to sit and watch. Kind of boring on my part, but takes less stress of me. I sat and read a book. I also talked with Erin about work and has decided to start looking into unions. The IATSE (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees) has Local 336 in Phoenix, AZ. I'll be busy looking into these things. A really good way of getting experience and pay. We'll see what I plan on doing.

We had an elementary LecDem, then a high school LecDem. This was an opportunity that these schools have never experienced and never imagined being able to experience. It was really great to give them these small previews of dance.

Our next stop was at the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum. It is a nonprofit organization that does the Birds in Art exhibit that is really getting known in this country. It was a great place and I found two sculptures (a pair piece) that I wish I could own. Ahh beautiful!!! It is porcelain artwork by the English artist Dorothy Doughty (1892 - 1962). But I find it would cost me over a thousand dollars at an art auction to even imagine owning it. Oh well... if I ever become rich, it's being added to my personal art collection. (and no, the picture to the right is not it - that is one of the many statues that stands outside the museum)

The evening was spent at a family's home for dinner and FHE since the Beck's were busy at work. It was really fun! When we got home, though, I was exhausted, spent a bit in the hot tub, then is preping for bed. I'm totally ready for an early night sleep. It'll be a very busy day tomorrow. Yay!

No comments:

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.