From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Day Six: Shopping

Um...today...what did we do? We took another group picture at the Spoon bridge and Cherry statue because the cherry has been replaced. Yay! We also went to tour the Mill City Museum. It was very interesting. This building has been in a flour dust explosion and two fires. Bad luck! The flour tower exhibit was amazingly done. It gave a history of the flour mill. Pretty cool to learn about General Mills in its beginnings and see a past that use to be the top flour industry in the world.

After that was Mall of America. Wow...huge place, good stores, interesting theme park. We did one of the rides...the short but fun Sponge Bob roller coaster. I walked most of that mall today. Fun walking time, but I'm not much of a shopper. Oddly enough, I bought quite a bit of small accessories. Eh...whatever. I'm glad for my purchases.

Tonight is spent in a hotel. I prefer host families, but apparently it is very hard on many of the dancers because its so many unknown factors in going to a new household every other night.

No comments:

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.