From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:
dancetechinservice.blogspot.com
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Day Eleven: SFX Malfunction
Today was a sleep-in day!! We didn't have to get to the bus until noon so all of us relaxed at a nice hotel for the morning. Wow, are we lazy this tour! Then we had a performance this evening. It was an easy set-up. There was definitely work to do, but nothing too difficult. The problem came when we began the show. I had been running music a few times during the set-up and never heard a problem. However, as soon as we began the show, our first number was having volume pops and possible skipping every other second. It was AWFUL!!! I had just played that song before opening the house and didn't hear any problems! FRUSTRATING!! As soon as the number ended (eight minutes length), I restarted the computer and did a little switch on something that I thought may have been a problem. No more problems the rest of the night. Thank goodness!! The last two performances had slight pops now and again, but nothing so extreme. Grrrr... Erin had called Benjamin who gave the idea of just restarting the computer. Then we decided - when time permits - to facebook Mark (since he is in China yet still finds time to facebook) and hope he contacts us later. Yay for software bugs!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.
Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.
Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.
I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.

No comments:
Post a Comment