From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Day Ten

EXHAUSTION!!! That's all I have to say about today. Well . . . actually just about the last few hours. It was a very interesting day because it was such a light work load though the morning hours. Most of the shots just used daylight or we had the 4K to punch a bit more "sunlight" into the scene. We were able to take a break around 4:30 until we began setting up Missouri Town for the mob scene at 6pm. Wow, that was a treat! We had a guy, Chad, hired in for the evening to help with the 12K and scissor lift - because those need to be used under supervision. We were able to just talk about so many things pertaining to work. I learned a lot from him. My favorite part about the job is what I can learn from the people. It's amazing how we are similar in age, yet can teach each other so much. I'm amazed at myself as I am able to act like I know exactly what I am doing when I am just learning or have only seen another do it.

So, the hard night began around 10pm. It was almost like the DP gave up on lighting and just wanted to finish up at the Motion Picture Studio. Then, we had to strike EVERYTHING!!! I had a lot of fun driving the ATV around MPS and I wish I could do more driving around. Maybe I can figure something out over the summer - borrow my grandpa's ATV and find a place to drive it around. Anyways . . . so it wasn't too bad striking everything although it is exhausing, but we put it all in B44, a storage building at the MPS and our stuff was everywhere in the tunnel. We left at 11:45, but just as we passed the security booth, Matt gets a call and his boss is returning from tour in less then 45 minutes and the whole tunnel must be clear so he can drive in the truck and unload. So, we had to turn around and RUSH to clear everything. It was quite an adventure. Thankfully, it makes tomorrow easier to put everything away since we organized and put a lot away to clear the tunnel. So, we were finally able to return home at 12:15 and just as we passed the security booth, in drove the truck. Just perfect timing. So, today was eleven hours of work. Tomorrow, it is mostly Matt and I working to put all the equipment away as the others come and go as their schedules permit. It is going to be a lot of hours of work, but I know I'll learn so much. I'm excited, but wish I could get more sleep. Oh, well. It will all be over next Wednesday.

No comments:

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.