From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thoughts on Music

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ~Berthold Auerbach

Today, I went to a cello master class and really enjoyed my time listening to the music. Several different things came to mind while I was there, and here are a few of the things I thought of.

I'd have to say my favorite instrument is the cello. It would take a lot of convincing to sway me toward another instrument. I loved to see the passion on their faces as they played: listening to each note, putting feelings into every movement of the bow and fingers. It is amazing what kind of sounds and emotions can come from one instrument. Close your eyes and imagine the world being created by the music. Playing is not about getting the notes right but about conveying your image of the musical world to the audience. I really enjoy watching films like Fantasia because it takes classic songs and creates a visual interpretation.

People have so many different sides to them, and I love to see that change when they are doing what they love. They are complete and show forth their true potential. I just want to weep for joy for them. In times of trouble, sorrow, or confusion, one can always turn to what they love. It is amazing to see the power of music, feel it touch straight to the heart, hear it fill the venue with beauty.

Honestly, I do not like our age of time. Nothing is a truly original masterpiece. Dance only exists in concert, music is from the classical composers, many films just want to show off special effects, and theatre is taking risks to cross the line so the audience will open their minds to change. I sometimes wonder how it would be like to live among the society that surrounded Mozart, Bach, Beethoven - and to be the first to listen to such magnificence.

I started to draw again today. Only once in a while can I just sit and work on drawing still life. I have so much potential for different talents, but I never have the drive to develop them. My love of the theatre overpowers all else, but I know for myself there are other people that are much better then me, but I am happy with the way I am. It would be nice to improve my minor skills, but it is not necessary for me to be happy with my life.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I think this is my favorite post, I loved reading it!

I completely agree with you too. What happened to the days when people knew how to dance real dances? Now it's just "bop to the rhythm".

What happened to movies where there was real drama? A real plot? And actors who were talented as well as good-looking / Now it's just about special effects and gimmicks.

And music...don't get me started. There are very few current artists I actually like. Most of the artists, again, are all about shock value. Classical music the greatest.

The cello is a gorgeous instrument. Dvorak wrote the most gorgeous cello concerto ever...I have it on my iTunes. I should burn you a CD.

I love all stringed instruments, but I am biased, I love my violin.

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.