From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Tech Rehearsal

Well, last night was HARD! I guess looking back it wasn't too bad for it was the first run through of a huge production, but I remember several moments were I was scrambling to get the dance to go right. I hate having no control of some situations because I also want everything to go perfect. It seems like spot calls were going well although I am trying to decide if I should continue using their names or give them numbers. There are only four spot operators, two FOH (front of house) and two truss spots. I hate giving numbers specially since I know who they are, but it's definitely quicker.

Well, there are some amazing numbers, at least with the look of lighting, costumes, and formations. I haven't been able to focus long on the dance steps yet. I'm excited to have the Marriott filled with an audience. It makes it a lot more exciting and lively to have the sound of cheers and applause. I actually find that listening to music isn't that exciting for me without everything together. Just sitting and listening to the Ballroom tour music seems to lack something because I don't have the visual lighting design, dance choreography, sounds of the audience and power of the speakers in a full house. I really enjoy working dance more then theatre because of the music.

Tonight is our dress rehearsal and I hope everything goes smoothly because it's all we got (running the show w/ dancers) before opening night tomorrow night. Wow does time fly fast!

No comments:

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.