On May 28th, I am going to assist as a kind of Technical Director for the charity event of "Utah's So You Think You Can Dance" being held at the Covey Center of the Arts in Provo, Utah. I am really excited for this! My friend, Brittney Wakefield asked if I would be willing to help her by being in charge of running the technical side of the show and supervising the volunteers. I feel so blessed to have all these great opportunities to gain experience as a leader and also to be a part of great events.
My favorite part of the job is being able to travel to difference venues and using my knowledge to work with their equipment and our to create a show. From all the tours I have been on, I am able to spend a maximum time of five hours taking a bare stage and preparing the lighting and sound to put on a dance production. At BYU, I have learned to spend three days setting up and programing a show that will be performed at least three to four times that week end. I cannot imaging going back to working with the acting theatre because they spend over a month preparing a show while I hurry to get it all done in three days. I love being constantly busy. I think that is why I have such a hard time being away from stage. I must be kept active with figuring out problems, setting up equipment, and having that feeling that we succeeded in putting on an amazing show that the audience enjoyed. There is nothing better then to listen to the audience exit the theatre as they praise the show they just finished watching. To know I had a part in putting it together makes my life worth living and my job worth working. The stress just melts away and all that matters is the fun that those people had. I love the theatre!!
From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:
dancetechinservice.blogspot.com
Sunday, April 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.
Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.
Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.
I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.

No comments:
Post a Comment