From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Auguste Rodin

Okay, so back when I was visiting all of those museums while on the dance tour, I ran into a statue by Auguste Rodin as seen here. (I'm thinking this was at the Art Institute of Chicago Museum.) Anyways, when I had exited from the hallway of paintings and entered into a white breezeway, I came upon this sculpture. It really grabbed my attention. My first thought was that this must be a sculpture of Achilles since the grief in his face as he is pointing down to his heel. What a shock it was to read on the plaque that it was entitled "Adam". What?! "Adam" can't be right. How does this statue express the father of mankind? After the Fall, I see the expression of grief, but why does he point downward? What is that expressing? I read that this was originally going to be part of an entrance portal entitled "Gates of Hell", however the museum it was planned for was never built. I really like the fact that it was depicting Dante's Inferno...so now I feel like I should reread it to find when Adam and Eve are mentioned and figure out what Rodin is wanting to present. I finally found the small figurine entitled "Eve" which took a lot of searching. Amazingly, "Adam" was the only art piece in the room, at least six feet high while "Eve" was in a glass case in the corner among other figurines less then a foot high in a room full of paintings. Odd, isn't it? It is also sad to see his representation of Eve. She is expressing full shame, hiding her face and unwilling to show her face, blocking herself with her hands. I hope to one day see a representation of Eve after the fall that shows an LDS perspective. She knew the consequences of her choice and chose procreation over innocence in the Garden. What emotion do we believe she was expressing? What would Adam and Eve's reaction and emotion have been as they left the Garden?

1 comment:

Diane said...

I imagine their reaction to be much like yours when you leave on your mission. :o)

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.