From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Friday, June 26, 2009

Missionary for a Day

Okay...actually I was a missionary for a day and a half. The Sister Missionaries in my home stake always look for members to join them at lessons. I went out twice, onece to a canceled lesson, and another going to the visitor center to see the Joseph Smith movie. Well, three days ago, one of the sisters became sick and because I have nothing happening in my life, I was able to go out on "splits" for two day. First day was from about 3pm to 10pm and the second day from 8am to 10pm. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to catch a glimpse into the life of a missionary. Most of the appointments were canceled and few wanted to talk with us, but that's okay with me. I was raised knowing a mission is not a picnic. I'm not going for the title or glory that some may still think comes in being called a missionary. I don't care about the number of baptisms or huge success stories. I have toured around the world with the BYU Dance Department: I have met so many different people, felt the spirit in many different circumstances, and after the many blessings that the Lord has given me, it is my time to give my time and talents fully to him for eighteen months. I will be grateful for any place I am called to serve. Talking with several different return missionaries, I know it is not easy. It is exhausting physically and mentally, but I am ready for it for I know it will give me the strength and growth that the Lord has planned for me if I just continue to follow His guidance. I am ready to serve.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Good for you! I'm excited to write you when you are out serving.

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.