From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

In Heaven!!!

*Heavenly Choir sings their Ah's*

hehehe ... how often have I said I love my job? I LOVE MY JOB!!! Of course, right now, I'm technically referring to the theatre. Too bad I've left the theatre to work dance. I am having a blast working as an assistant lighting designer for Macbeth. ALL THOSE IN PROVO MUST COME TO THIS SHOW!!!!!! It's going to be great! Of course I may be partial to it because it is placed in Book of Mormon times.

Actors can be quite hilarious! At one point the actor for Macbeth was standing in his "Aside" position and was calling our studio spot like it was a dog to focus on him, as the Master Electrician (ME) was moving its pan and tilt to the proper location. Later, he has a competition with the actress of Lady Macbeth to see who can hold their hand longest over the fire pit. He loses. Just to painful! :-D To enlighten you ... we use a fire bowl that consists of cloth and lighting. With the fan, it's cold rather then hot. Joksters! Oh the joys of theatre!

I can't wait to see this in full production. The set design is amazing! The lighting is amazing! I know the costumes are amazing! And I am sure all props are amazing! I can't wait to see them all placed together on stage. Now, I'm not trying to sound rude for not stating the acting being amazing ... but this is tech week! It's not about the full acting. They are mainly blocking for the designers to put everything together. I'll comment on acting and directing at a later time.

No comments:

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.