From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Offering Services

So, apparently if you offer your services for free, people really take you up on that offer! I have only one class this semester so I have gone to film, broadcast, and theatre and told them I am available if they are ever in need of help. Now, I have not had a moment's rest. I love it, of course, but I feel bad when I don't get phone calls out because I don't have time until it is awful hours for phone conversations. Oh the joys of work.

This week, I have worked with dance getting equipment to the Pardoe theatre for a high school show this Saturday. Hang was Wednesday, focus on Friday, and I will be working all day Saturday for the tech and performance.

With broadcast, I have helped with a pledge show going on this Friday and Saturday. On Wednesday I set up the set and lighting. Today we focused, and tomorrow I will be assisting with the live broadcast of the pledge that evening.

I am slowly sneaking my way into the lighting crew with the theatre department. My friends are trying to convince me to get on the paid crew, but I'd have to think about that. This week is Thoroughly Modern Millie so I assisted with focusing today. I plan on popping in and out of the deJong and Pardoe and jumping into the hang and focus.

On top of that, I help with friend's shows. Vibe, student film projects, etc. So, it's going to be a busy and fun semester! We'll see where it leads...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What are the pros and cons of being on the paid lighting crew that makes you have to think about it?

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.