How would you describe yourself
Theatre is my life and breath. Organized, When I dedicate my time to a project, I put my all into it and won’t quit until it is complete to my satisfaction, I love to work. Even though I am a little slip of a girl, it won’t stop me from working just as hard as any man on my team. As my co-workers have said, my body won’t recognize it is a girl. I work twice as hard and lift twice as much if that is necessary for finishing the job.
What is your dream job
Each job I have is my dream job. I live by the day and as long as I am on stage working, I am living the dream.
How would you know you were successful on this job
I feel on top of things, confident in each task that is put in front of me
Why did you choose this career?
I am most happy when I am working. It keeps me busy doing the thing I love. It is my life. Even when I come home tired and bruised, I can’t wait to return the next morning. I am a part of bringing a production to life.
What do you really want to do in life
Enhance theatre for the community. I want to be a part of the productions, lend my skills to make a greater show
Which is more important: creativity or efficiency
Efficiency is most important. When you truly become efficient in a task, you have the time and ability to add true, productive creativity into it.
Describe the most rewarding experience of your career thus far
Touring internationally … new, unique venues; meeting great people; immersed in other cultures; different theatrical aspects
What major problems have you encountered and how did you deal with them
At one time on tour, we had an incident when a cable snapped causing an electric to fall and it my boss, the technical director of the tour. He was sent to the hospital, and flown home the next day. For that evening, we had to figure out how to continue the show. Unfortunately, I was the only one on tour who had technical background. The venue could not be changed because there was not other location, and this was the only planned performance in the city, so we did not cancel. We cleared the debris and decided not to use any of their electrics. Thankfully, before all that occurred we had our light booms up and I finished focusing the front of house. Although the original plan was to use their lightboard, I decided to go ahead and patch their system into our tour board so I could run lighting while assisting the assistant director in running the show controls. It went pretty well considering. The next day, I joined the tour manager in viewing our next venue. I was technical director for a day (for my other boss was flying in the day after to finish up the tour).
From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:
dancetechinservice.blogspot.com
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.
Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.
Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.
I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.

No comments:
Post a Comment