From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Theatre Ballet

So, this is going to be the first time to really work with the theatre ballet company. I've assisted onstage for Ballet in Concert and always helps to move ballet's set pieces, but I've yet to have a tour experience with them. I really look forward to it and to see if it'd be interested in working with a ballet group in the future.

The show repertoire for Theatre Ballet consists of scenes from different fairytale-isc ballets, including Raymonda, Sleeping Beauty, Giselle, Swan Lake, and Romeo & Juliet. Each scene I believe is approximately ten minutes long, expect Swan Lake will be around 30 minutes if I recall correctly. I have not seen any rehearsals, and may not until tour. It'll be quite an adventure. I'm not sure what to think about it yet. I can only imagine the many differences between touring with Ballet then with Ballroom, Folk, or Dancers Company. With Ballet being the classic dance, it will bring in a variety of people, but I worry of attendance due to the decline of society in these days and their lack of the classic tastes in ballet, opera, and the likes.

This week, I've decided to check out different film versions of these ballets, so today I've gotten Raymonda and Sleeping Beauty. It is an impressive artform, telling a story without any speech. It definitely shows how much can be communicated from just body movements. Plus it is a beautiful display of strength, balance, grace, movement, and the like. At times I almost wish I had the discipline to continue in ballet ... but I am quite happy with my work as a theatre technician.

No comments:

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.