From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Forum

YEAH!!!! Today is a forum for Diantha's Crossing. I look forward to see what will be discussed. I didn't know they would do a forum. I will not miss it! I keep searching for information on the air date, but nothing has been discovered yet. Hopefully the forum will have a lot of information. It's at 11am in the Nelke theatre.


Synopsis:
Diantha Clay is a middle-aged woman in Salt Lake City, preparing to abandon the city, by order of President Brigham Young. But Diantha has not left with the others heading toward Cedar City. Instead, she is caring for a young, unconscious woman – the victim of abuse at the hands of her husband.

The husband and wife were passing through on their way to gold prospects in the west. During an argument with her husband, the woman is knocked unconscious.

Diantha has several reasons to be concerned. The army is approaching and the precise day of their arrival is uncertain. Additionally, Diantha anticipates the return of the woman’s potentially violent husband.

Eventually, the husband does return. He pleads with Diantha to open the door, but Diantha doesn’t trust him. Finally, he breaks down the door, inadvertently colliding with Diantha.

When Diantha regains consciousness, she is in her rocking chair and the husband is gone. An unknown man suddenly appears in the small cabin, offering assistance. Though initially frightened and suspicious, Diantha eventually begins a discussion with the man, recalling her extraordinary life experience and the events that brought her to this point.

Throughout the process, Diantha comes to grip with feelings of anger, guilt, and resentment. She encounters her own mortality…and immortality.

No comments:

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.