So I've been driving last night and tonight and have been finding it a lot more difficult to start in 1st gear especially if I want to do it slowly. Finally, we went to eat at Cafe Rio and watch a late night movie so instead of just Krista and I, Taylor joined along. He did not seem happy with my driving. I didn't know if he was carsick from my bumpy starts or afraid for his life, but he finally taught me a very important lesson on driving that I didn't quite catch in Krista's teachings. She is a great teacher but my mind doesn't grasp things normally and it takes several different perspectives of explanation for me to understand. I've always been confused at when the clutch should and should not be in. Taylor finally made me understand a lot more about it. I have always been releasing the clutch all the way to start. Therefore giving too much speed at the beginning and usually causing the jerking of the car. I now know to only release the clutch three-fourths of the way giving it gas to make is slowly move forward. I feel so much safer now trying to inch my way forward or backing up out of a parking spot. Wow ...
But I've only been driving three times so far and have driven most of the main roads and quite a bit around Provo. I'd say I'm doing quite well, even though I am a perfectionist and want to get a lot better. Automatics are no fun to drive. I'd rather prefer the challenge of a manual transmission ... anyone have a car to sell? Especially if it's a new Hybrid Honda Civic like Krista's, although I would prefer a truck ...
From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:
dancetechinservice.blogspot.com
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.
Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.
Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.
I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.

2 comments:
Krist-Kris! I love your driving descriptions, and yes, I would definately join the sticks are better than automatics group. Sue's facebook helped my find blogs for you and Al. It will be fun. Love you tons...
Oh, well, that was Kristi-Kris. hm
Post a Comment