Well, that was quite an adventure ... I was hoping to help out on an evening shoot for an evening and it turned into an adventure. We traveled to South Fork Park in Provo Canyon and the location caused us to carry all the equipment quite a ways. It went through the gate, along the river, over a bridge, down a long dirt path and through the tall grasses. It took quite a while with several trips, but we made it and began to set up for the shooting. Unfortunately, as the night progressed, we had a lot of people not show. Then the rain began to fall with no thought of letting up. The worst was when the lightning came ... always a worry with equipment around. We finally decided to wrap up and go home. Everything had to be packed up - and did I mention there was no shelter from the rain and few of us had raincoats? We enjoyed getting soaked ...
Just as we were getting close to having all the equipment in a pile to start transporting back to the van, the generation runs out of gas and overloads. Therefore we lost all light except the few small flashlights people thought of bringing.
It really was fun ... although I am now quite sore and nothing came from that experience. But I liked being with old friends and re-familiarizing myself with film equipment - even if it has only been a few months.
So for me that evening went from 6:30pm to 1:00am. I was sore, tired, wet, thirsty, and went home for dry clothes, hot chocolate, and a nice warm afghan with a book.
From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:
dancetechinservice.blogspot.com
Monday, September 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.
Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.
Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.
I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.

No comments:
Post a Comment