So, on Monday I began work with Stadium of Fire 2008. It was HEAVEN!!! I discovered on Saturday that the Louisiana Boys (my connection to working SofF) were not hired on this year. Therefore, I was worried about what I would be helping out with this year. When I walked into the Stadium, I met the lighting guys from last year. I automatically got onto their crew! They kept asking where I had been and had hoped that I would be available to work. It felt great to hear that they remembered me and are eager for me to continue work. The first thing I did was be in charge of running DMX and addressing the moving heads. Jaimie, the Master Electrician, gave the job all to me, so I counted cable, organized, and ran cable. I only made one mistake (which is good for a DMX hang) because the plot was hung differently then it showed on paperwork which threw me off a bit ...
On Tuesday, work began at 9am and it was a hot day! I'm sure it's hotter in Arizona, but working outside did wear me out. There were a lot of moments where we just sat around (due to scenic issues), but I did climb up and down 20ft towers running cables and addressing moving heads. I am so sore, but it could be the fact that I got a nice sunburn on my arms - or it's because I ran cables for the front of house for a few hours. I worked until midnight, even though there were still a few more hours to work, but I wasn't doing much and what was left is programming lighting positions, which is for the Lighting Designer to do.
I love Stadium of Fire! Although I plan on leaving Provo next year and prefer not to return, I will come for one week out of the year to work Stadium of Fire. I would love to make it a yearly job opportunity ... I should really look into that, whether I consider joining one of the teams who are hired on, or to keep my name with the task force. We'll see how it goes. John, the man in charge of lighting, is really helping me out with networking as he introduces me to several different people working this show, so we'll see what the future brings ...
From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:
dancetechinservice.blogspot.com
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.
Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.
Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.
I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.

No comments:
Post a Comment