From September 2009 to March 2011, I will be posting to my other blog. For those who want to follow my mission experiences in Florida Fort Lauderdale, please go to:

dancetechinservice.blogspot.com

Thursday, March 13, 2008

First Film Shoot

The pre-production meeting for Diantha went very well today. We planned for the first still frame shooting that is going to occur this Saturday. It is a wide distant shot to represent the tarring of Joseph Smith. We are going up to Aspen Grove for this shoot because we want it to occur in the snow - and apparently we are expecting a snowstorm this weekend. I'm excited to have my first work experience with film. I've talked with the DP (director of photography) about how I can help, so I'm looking forward to learning from him and helping out with lighting and rigging. For Saturday, I was worried that I could not help because I have dancEnsemble and DanceSport, but in the production team, I am the only person with a truck card and one person has a van card. We have a big generator that needs to be transported to the site - therefore a truck is needed to hitch the generator trailer to. Therefore, Steven was kind enough to work dancEnsemble for me Saturday night and I told Kurt that I will probably not be able to drive the truck for strike of DanceSport. Thankfully, he has another dancer - who I know will be able to handle the heavy loads being transported from the Marriott to the shed several times. The call time for the film shoot will be 5pm as we load the camera and lighting, then we'll set up and wait for dark before begin shooting. It is uncertain how long it may take, although it won't be a surprise if it goes past 1am. That is why I canceled my work for DanceSport because strike at the Marriott will go that late too. I'm thinking sleep will not be my friend on Saturday/Sunday. But in all honesty, it is worth it.

No comments:

Stagehands have astonishing learning curves. It's not unusual for stage crews to have trucks full of unknown scenery arrive at a theatre on Monday, which we need to assemble and understand to open a show we've never seen before... on Tuesday night.

Most people, if confronted with such a task, would flatly say it was impossible.

Stagehands find ways to make it possible. We learn quickly, we draw upon years of experience, skills and training, and (all too often) we drink lots of coffee and work all night.

I've had one longstanding handicap in my career as a stagehand. I don't drink coffee.